This dish is totally vegetarian. Other veggie items can be served as sides: tostones, maduros, any type of lettuce, or steamed broccoli.
Of course, meats also make a great match.
For this recipe, I used frozen pigeon peas.
In the photo: Chopped cilantro and sprigs is edible decoration
- Brown Rice (1 Cup)
- Pigeon Peas (1 Cup) (fresh or frozen)
- Spanish Seasonings: Sofrito (2 tbs); Cilantro (3-4sprigs); Spanish Onion (1/4 med, chopped); Sea Salt(to taste); Olive Oil(1 tbs, optional)
- Potato or Carrot (1 medium, cut in 1inch chunks)
- 1In a small saucepan, cook the brown rice following the package instructions.
- 2In a medium saucepan, place the peas with all the seasonings. Then, cover with 2-21/2 cups of filtered water. Bring to a boil. Then, cover, and let it cook for 30 minutes in medium heat.