Here's a snack from the islands with a healthy twist.
I changed the traditionally used beef(ground meat) in the filling, to lean, organic ground turkey.
It's a versatile snack that can be prepared ahead of time and kept in the fridge days before cooking.
Note that this is a fried food so it should be cooked at the time of serving.
- 1 lb ground turkey, preferably organic
- 2 tablespoons of sofrito
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (to cook the meat wit the seasonings) and 1to 2 cups of canola oil to deep fry the turnovers
- 1 pack of turnover dough for pastries (thawed) They come in disc shape, package of 10.
- Optional: seasonings or spicy ingredients such as jalapenos
- 1Preheat a nonstick skillet in medium high, add the meat, sofrito, oil, tomato paste, and seasonings. Mix and let cook covered for 20 minutes.
- 2Uncover, turn heat to medium and cook for 7 to 10 minutes more.
- 3Set cooked meat aside. In another nonstick skillet, pour and heat the frying oil to at least 1 inch deep.
- 4Lay out a dough disc and fill the center with a heap tablespoon of the cooked meat. Fold over in half, making sure the border is sealed. Use a fork to double-seal the disc so the filling stays in place while frying. Repeat the process with all ten.
- 5Fry for about two minutes. Turn over once to make sure both sides are golden fried. Take out of the hot oil and set on a paper towel to absorb extra oil.